These rustic vegan mashed potatoes are made with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, scallions, and kale. A scrumptious, straightforward vegetarian vacation aspect dish!
Thanksgiving is subsequent week, however I’ve been consuming mashed potatoes for some time now as a result of running a blog life means consuming vacation recipes early! I first made these vegan mashed potatoes for a household dinner just a few weeks in the past and whereas I used to be within the kitchen mashing stuff in a bowl, my brother-in-law came visiting and requested “what’s within the mashed potatoes?” I mentioned “potatoes”… and he mentioned ” no, I imply, what’s the “potato”…is it cauliflower…is it parsnips? He is aware of me so properly.
It dawned on me how not often I make precise potatoes, however we’re altering that at this time – this Thanksgiving our potatoes are potatoes! We’re additionally including a bunch of kale to them as a result of, properly… I’m nonetheless me.
These potatoes usually are not your creamy whipped cloud potato – when you’re craving that type of mash, go make this recipe. At present’s recipe is extra of a country mash with garlic, scallions, and rosemary. The skins of the potatoes are left on which makes for a beautiful texture and likewise ease of cooking. This entire recipe comes collectively in about 20 minutes and requires no peeling.
There’s practically an entire bunch of kale on this recipe, however nobody will notice it, as a result of it cooks down and mixes in to the potatoes so properly.
As an alternative of butter or bitter cream, I take advantage of good quantity of olive oil, which provides such a scrumptious taste and creamy texture. It additionally makes this recipe vegan with out having to make use of any kind of vegan butter substitute. I simply love olive oil a lot.
mmm… take a look at all of that kale!
For extra vacation recipes, take a look at the vacation part of our recipe index!
Kale & Olive Oil Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 2 kilos unpeeled yellow potatoes (or Yukon Gold), minimize into 1 inch items
- four garlic cloves, peeled
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, extra for drizzling
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- four cups finely chopped kale (1 small bunch)
- 2 tablespoons minced contemporary rosemary
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- Pinches of pink pepper flakes (non-obligatory)
- Place the potatoes, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt in a big pot and fill with sufficient water to cowl the potatoes by 1 inch. Deliver to a boil and cook dinner till fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Warmth ½ teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the scallions and kale, and cook dinner till wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Put aside.
- Use a potato masher to coarsely mash the potatoes and garlic. Use a rubber spatula to fold within the ⅓ cup olive oil, ½ cup of the reserved cooking liquid, the kale, scallions, rosemary, ½ teaspoon salt and freshly floor black pepper. Proceed folding till creamy, including as much as ½ cup extra cooking liquid and extra drizzles of olive oil, if desired. Season to style with as much as ½ teaspoon extra salt, and pinches of pink pepper flakes, if desired. Serve sizzling.