Good Thursday morning. Listed here are among the tales making information in Washington and politics right now.
• Nancy Pelosi was nominated to be the speaker of the brand new Home, however with 32 Democrats voting no, she was properly in need of the quantity wanted to make sure her election in January. The scarcity may give a possible challenger time to step ahead.
• Livid over being denied a C.I.A. briefing on the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, senators from each events spurned the Trump administration with a stinging vote to think about ending American navy assist for the Saudi-backed struggle in Yemen. Right here’s what the vote will do.
• The Pentagon is contemplating protecting American troops on the southwestern border into January, probably extending a deployment to confront a caravan of migrants from Central America.
• Escalating his battle with the particular counsel, Robert Mueller, President Trump stated presidential pardon for Paul Manafort was “not off the desk.” Because the president continues to assault the inquiry, some senators have renewed efforts to cross a invoice that may defend Mr. Mueller.
• “There actually isn’t any equivalency.” Ivanka Trump defended her use of a private electronic mail account for presidency enterprise, saying it was not the identical as Hillary Clinton’s use of a non-public electronic mail server.
• Democrats gained no less than 39 congressional seats within the midterm elections, however they got here at a price: The Democratic Congressional Marketing campaign Committee, centered on Home races, ended the marketing campaign cycle $18 million in debt.
• Few states have held as a lot outsize clout on Capitol Hill over the past half-century as Mississippi — energy that introduced it billions of federal . However as fewer veteran lawmakers signify the poor, small state, its period of affect is waning.
• Shares rose after buyers took feedback by Jerome Powell, the Federal Reserve chairman, to imply the central financial institution could also be nearer to ending its push to raise rates of interest. Right here’s extra on the markets’ leap.