Even cheese lovers will fall for this 4-ingredient vegan Parmesan cheese. It’s SO easy to make, and it’s a tasty umami topping for pasta, salads, and more!
This vegan Parmesan cheese recipe is my new favorite condiment. It’s sharp, bright, savory, and rich, and as far as I can tell, it’s great on just about anything.
I’ve made vegan Parmesan in the past, but this time, I added one extra ingredient: lemon zest! Its bright flavor brought extra complexity to the savory, nutty mixture, and now, I can’t get enough of it. I keep a big jar on hand in the freezer, and I reach for it anytime a dish needs an extra punch of umami flavor. If you’re dairy-free, trying to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet, or just out of Parmesan, you have to try this recipe!
Of course, this vegan Parmesan cheese can’t step in for actual cheese in every scenario. I wouldn’t substitute it for Parmesan when the cheese is essential for creating a creamy sauce, like in my fettuccine Alfredo. However, it’s a fantastic vegan alternative to dairy anytime you’d garnish something with grated or shaved Parmesan. Think salads, pastas, pizza, etc. Once you have it on hand, you’ll sprinkle it over everything!
Vegan Parmesan Cheese Recipe Ingredients
My vegan Parmesan cheese recipe calls for four simple ingredients:
- Cashews – They add richness and texture to this dairy-free cheese. For the best results, use raw cashews here. Like in my cashew cream, their neutral flavor is ideal for this recipe. (Roasted cashews will give it a strong cashew-y taste.) If you’re nut-free, substitute a mix of raw sunflower seeds and hemp seeds for the cashews.
- Nutritional yeast – The key ingredient for adding cheesy flavor to vegan recipes! Like in my vegan cheese sauce, it makes this recipe super savory, nutty, and delicious.
- Lemon zest – It adds the perfect bright counterpoint to the other rich, savory flavors here.
- Sea salt – This recipe is best when you salt to taste, so make sure that you don’t use salted cashews. Made with unsalted cashews, it needs about 1/2 teaspoon salt to make all the flavors pop.
Pulse the ingredients in a small food processor until they form a coarse meal with a soft, crumbly texture. Be careful not to process the vegan Parmesan cheese for too long, or the mixture will turn into cashew butter!
If your food processor is too large to make a single batch, feel free to double the recipe. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze them in an airtight container for up to a month.
There’s no need to thaw frozen vegan Parmesan cheese before you use it. Because of its fine texture, it thaws in a snap, so sprinkle it directly onto whatever you’re eating!
What to Do with Vegan Parmesan Cheese
This simple vegan Parmesan cheese is a yummy umami topping for all sorts of recipes. Here are just a few of my favorite ways to use it:
How do you like to use vegan Parm? Let me know in the comments!
More Plant-Based Cooking Components
If you love this recipe, try making one of these vegan cooking components next:
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
Keep this delicious vegan Parmesan cheese on hand to add bold flavor to pastas, pizzas, roasted veggies, and more! Store leftovers in the fridge for 5 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- ½ cup raw cashews*
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
Place the cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and lemon zest in a small food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal and has a soft, crumbly texture.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, freeze after that.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS GREAT SOURCE